Automatically export emails as MSG files in disk
Introducing MSG Exporter add-in for Outlook
- Seamlessly integrated within the ribbon UI of Outlook for one-click access
- Save one or several emails or entire folders with subfolders to MSG files in a click.
- Automatically save, backup or archive emails, appointments, tasks or contacts to local disk or network drive.
- Replicate emails including attachments as individual MSG files.
- Preserves attachments, headers, formatting, inline images and hyperlinks in the replicated MSG files.
- Retain the same original folders structure of Outlook in the disk for easy access, sharing and filing.
- Adhere to consistent email archiving and retention policy.
- Automatically enforce consistent naming convention of replicated MSG files.
- Backup email messages for regulatory or legal compliance.
- Map Outlook folders to file folders (of disk) and automatically replicate new incoming emails.
- Search inside of saved messages and attachments with Windows Search.
- Support MSG replications from PST, IMAP, POP or Exchange mailboxes or Public Folders including Office 365 mailboxes
- Special MSI installer available for enterprise wide deployment (Available to Enterprise License only)
- Support for pre-configuration of settings and pushing to multiple systems (Available to Enterprise License only)
- Works on both sent and received messages
- Works with Office 2019 and Office 365 (either 32-bit and 64-bit)
Purpose of this Add-in
Most government regulations, industry standards or corporate policies require that email interactions with customers are recorded and retained for a certain period of time. Furthermore, many companies limit the amount of email employees can store in their mailbox and automatically remove older messages, as part of their email retention policies. In most cases, PST usage is also disallowed. AssistMyTeam MSG exporter add-in is designed to allow users and system administrators to save and archive old emails as MSG files in inexpensive local disk or network drive, as well as providing support for automatic replication of MSG backup files from both incoming and outgoing email messages. It is a powerful and cost-effective alternative to installing and maintaining expensive server-based email archiving solutions.
how it works
AssistMyTeam MSG Exporter add-in is seamlessly integrated within the UI of Outlook. Navigate to any folder in Outlook and you will find the MSG Exporter toolbar on the ribbon UI.
Before you can start exporting MSG files from Outlook, you need to perform some initial configuration such as specifying the network drive or disk to which the MSG files would be stored and choosing a naming convention scheme for the MSG files. To do this, click the ‘Settings’ button from the toolbar.
And from the Output Settings panel, under MSG Output tab (first), specify the local disk folder (e.g., D:\backup) or network drive (e.g., \\Server\backup) to which MSG files generated from emails, appointments or tasks in Outlook will be stored. You can also enable the option ‘Follow Outlook folders hierarchy’ to force the add-in to replicate the same Outlook folders structure in the specified disk/drive before the MSG files export.
To export the chosen emails as MSG files to custom file folder of your choice, click ‘Export To’ button from the toolbar. This will prompt you to specify a file folder from your local disk or network share.
To export MSG files of all emails from the Outlook folder, click ‘Export All to Folder‘ button from the toolbar. And this will prompt you to choose a destination file folder location from your local disk or network drive.
If you want to automate the MSG files export from new incoming emails instantly without requiring your intervention in your Inbox or a particular folder, click the ‘MSG Folder & Automation‘ button from the toolbar. And from the ‘Automation’ section, enable the 2nd option ‘Automatically output the MSG file when the Outlook item is received‘. And click ‘Save‘.
With this setting, the add-in will enable MSG output automation for this particular folder. That is, when a new email is received in this particular Inbox or folder, the add-in will output a MSG file from the new email and store it in the associated/mapped file folder in your local disk or network drive. Note that, this is a per folder setting.
You can configure the add-in to automatically output the MSG files to the mapped disk or network drive from those existing Outlook emails that are older than a particular number of days. This process is triggered instantly without requiring your intervention in your Inbox or a particular folder. To enable this feature, click the ‘MSG Folder & Automation‘ button from the toolbar. And from the ‘Automation’ section, enable the 3rd option ‘Automatically output the MSG file if the Outlook item is older than‘. And don’t forget to specify the number of days in the input box just below it. And then click ‘Save‘.
Click the ‘Summary Report‘ button from the toolbar to show which existing email items of this Outlook folder are yet to be exported to MSG files.
The summary information panel provides you with a duration filter (drop-down box) where you can specify one of the predefined duration such as This week, This Month, This Quarter, This Year or choose a particular date. You can also choose the option to exclude already processed and exported emails from showing up in the list.
After the filter is applied, you can then choose those unprocessed emails to be exported as MSG files to mapped local disk or network drive.
Click the ‘Mapped Folders Info’ button from the toolbar in Outlook to show which file folders are mapped or associated to which Outlook folders. You can use this tool to quickly specify destination file folder for individual Outlook folder.