“This is a marker file generated by the precompilation tool, and should not be deleted!”
After you have installed and configured the Customer Web Service (CWS) or the Technicians Web Access (TWA) sites on IIS Server, you get “This is a marker file generated by the precompilation tool, and should not be deleted!” message in the web browser when you enter the site URL.
First make sure, Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 is installed on your Windows Server (that has the IIS Server). You can check from Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs. If .NET Framework 3.5 is not listed as installed, then please download and install it from here
Now, if Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 is installed, this error message can happen due one of the following reasons:
1. You have forgotten to choose Version 2.0.50727 under the ASP.NET tab of the properties dialog of the Virtual Directory.
2. ASP.NET 2.0 is disabled as a web service extension in your IIS Server.
Make sure ASP.NET v2.0.50727 extension is not prohibited in your ‘Web Service Extensions’. If it is, click ‘Allow’ button. And then choose 2.0.50727 in the ASP.NET tab of the virtual directory (as mentioned in step 1 above)
3. It can also occur if IIS has lost its mappings to ASP.NET. In which case, the remedy is to register the ASP.NET 2.0 again through command line.
- 1. Open a command prompt
- 2. Change to the following directory (or whatever version of the .NET Framework you are using): C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727
- 3. Run the command “aspnet_regiis.exe -i“. This may take several minutes and will report the success/failure of the process.
If this does not work, you may need to reinstall IIS.